Chapter elections are underway: all UFF USF members should receive ballots by Saturday, March 14. If you are a UFF USF member and have not received a ballot by the beginning of Spring Break, contact the Chapter Secretary. All ballots must be received by Friday, March 26. Ballots will be counted at a special meeting time and location TBA on March 30, and newly elected officers and representatives will take their positions on April 1.
Here are the candidates for chapter offices:
- For President: Arthur Shapiro
- For Vice President: William (Steve) Lang
- For Secretary: Gregory McColm
- For Treasurer: Sonia Wohlmuth
Here are the candidates for the UFF Senate:
- For senator: Karin Braunsberger
- For senator: Leon Hardy
- For senator: William (Steve) Lang
- For senator: Richard Manning
- For senator: Gregory McColm
- For senator: Cynthia Patterson
- For senator: Vic Peppard
- For senator: Steve Permuth
- For senator: Debra Sinclair
- For senator: Sandra Stone
- For senator: Robert Welker
- For senator: Sonia Wohlmuth
(The President serves as senator ex officio.)
Here are the candidates for the FEA Delegate Assembly:
- For delegate: Karin Braunsberger
- For delegate: William (Steve) Lang
- For delegate: Richard Manning
- For delegate: Gregory McColm
- For delegate: Steve Permuth
- For delegate: Art Shapiro
We are watching the USF consolidation process closely. Here are links to UFF USF Biweekly articles on the process:
- Then in February, a more detailed proposal
- Then President Currall’s October 2020 Iteration of the Consolidation Plan
- The 26 September 2019 on President Currall’s proposal
- The 21 March 2019 on Consolidation
- The 22 February 2019 Consolidation Update.
- The 25 January 2018 article on the USF System.
- The 8 February 2018 article on the USF System.
- The 6 September 2018 article on Consolidation.
- The 24 January 2018 Consolidation Update.
In addition, here is the USF page on the Consolidation Task Force.
We are planning for a recruitment campaign. We need volunteers! We need to get UFF members more active in the union. If you are interested, contact the Membership Chair, Debbie Sinclair.
Tenure and Promotion
Newsletter Series on Performance, Evaluations, and the Reward Structure: Raises, Renewals, Tenure and Promotion
The newsletter is running a series of article on job performance, how it is evaluated, and how evaluations are translated into raises, renewals, tenure and promotion decisions. This series was inspired by recent changes in the tenure and promotion guidelines at USF. Articles thus far:
- What is Tenure For?
- Attacking Tenure
- Eroding Tenure
- The Contract and the Guidelines
- What They [the Guidelines] Say
- Teaching, Research and Service
- The Fourth Criterion
- Foggy Areas
- Getting Ahead
- More than Nature or Nurture
- Editorial Comment on Tenure and Promotion Criteria
- (Departments and) Tenure and Promotion Criteria
- Getting Grants on the Job
- Getting Real About Grants
- Tenure and the Odds
- Why Young Researchers Aren’t Getting Grants