Thank You for Voting to Ratify the Contract!
Employees in the UFF USF Bargaining Unit have just voted to ratify the proposed contract, as described in the see the 5 October 2019 Biweekly Extra. Bargaining the next contract starts first thing next year.
FEA Fund Our Future Bus Tour
On October 21, the Florida Education Association started its statewide Fund Our Future bus tour. The bus had been parked outside the hotel during last weekend’s annual FEA Delegate Assembly…
…and was the site of a press conference featuring FEA President Fed Ingram. During the next few weeks, the bus will make over fifty stops in over thirty counties to publicize the plight of Florida’s public schools, and to promote an FEA proposal to boost public education funding by $ 22 billion over the next decade.
- November 3, 10 am: Bradenton Church Visit at the Pathways Christian Center, 329 6th Ave W, Bradenton, FL 34205.
- November 3, 11:30 am: Roger Memorial United Methodist Church visit at Roger Memorial United Methodist Church, 1100 15th St E, Bradenton, FL 34208.
- November 5, 1:15 pm – 3:00 pm: Elementary School Recognition and Little Free Library Dedication at Rodgers-Garden Bullock Elementary, 515 13th Avenue W, Bradenton, FL 34205.
- November 5, 6 – 7:30 pm: Manatee Parent/Community Conversation at Rodgers-Garden Bullock Elementary• 515 13th Avenue W, Bradenton, FL 34205.
- November 6, 6 – 8 pm: Community Conversation on Discipline at the Hillsborough Classroom Teachers Association Office, 3102 N Habana Ave, Tampa, FL 33607.
We are watching the USF consolidation process closely. Here are links to UFF USF Biweekly articles on the process:
- The 26 September 2019 on President Currall’s proposal
- The 21 March 2019 on Consolidation
- The 22 February 2019 Consolidation Update.
- The 25 January 2018 article on the USF System.
- The 8 February 2018 article on the USF System.
- The 6 September 2018 article on Consolidation.
- The 24 January 2018 Consolidation Update.
In addition, here is the USF page on the Consolidation Task Force.
Election season is upon us. For information on the candidates, visit the Election Season page.
We are planning for a recruitment campaign. We need volunteers! We need to get UFF members more active in the union. If you are interested, contact the Membership Chair, Adrienne Berarducci.
Tenure and Promotion
Newsletter Series on Performance, Evaluations, and the Reward Structure: Raises, Renewals, Tenure and Promotion
The newsletter is running a series of article on job performance, how it is evaluated, and how evaluations are translated into raises, renewals, tenure and promotion decisions. This series was inspired by recent changes in the tenure and promotion guidelines at USF. Articles thus far:
- What is Tenure For?
- Attacking Tenure
- Eroding Tenure
- The Contract and the Guidelines
- What They [the Guidelines] Say
- Teaching, Research and Service
- The Fourth Criterion
- Foggy Areas
- Getting Ahead
- More than Nature or Nurture
- Editorial Comment on Tenure and Promotion Criteria
- (Departments and) Tenure and Promotion Criteria
- Getting Grants on the Job
- Getting Real About Grants
- Tenure and the Odds
- Why Young Researchers Aren’t Getting Grants