UFF Biweekly EXTRA
United Faculty of Florida -- USF System Chapter
11 October 2016
Email not displaying properly?
View it in your browser
Chapter Meeting Schedule
The chapter meeting schedule for the rest of the semester is:
And during the last week of classes, details TBA. All UFF USF employees, dues-paying UFF members and non-members alike, are invited for sandwiches, snacks, sweets, and drinks. Come and join the movement.
- October 21 and November 18 on USF Tampa in EDU 257.
- November 4 on USF Sarasota / Manatee in B224.
UFF Continues its Travel Scholarship Program: All UFF Members are Eligible
The USF Chapter of the UFF will award six $ 500 Travel Scholarships for next spring and summer.
All UFF USF members are eligible for one of six $ 500 travel scholarships to be randomly selected on December 2. Any member may submit a proposal - a proposal being a paragraph describing the professional activity for which the travel scholarship will be applied - to us by campus mail (UFF Membership Committee, 30238 USF Holly Drive) or by email; all proposals must be received by December 1. You may join UFF by December 3 and be eligible to apply. See the travel scholarship flyer.
Small print: Starting this term, a recipient of a travel award will not be eligible for another award for one year; this does not apply to awards prior to this term.
This initiative is part of our membership campaign. If you would like to become active in the UFF USF Membership Drive, contact the Membership Chair, Adrienne Berarducci.
ON THE GENERAL ELECTION
While the Main Stream Media obsesses over the presidential race, many issues important to us - from education funding to local transportation infrastructure - depend more directly on state and local officials and representatives. So we ask all our members to bone up on the local elections and be sure to vote for the candidates of your choice. (There are also several referenda.)
To find out who and what is on your ballot, you can download a sample ballot from your county supervisor of elections:
From there, sources of information about races include:
- The candidates' websites. Some are linked from Bay News 9 Florida Decides Hillsborough, Manatee, Pasco, Pinellas and Polk.
- Local newspapers such as The Bradenton Herald, The East County Observer of Bradenton, The Citrus County Chronicle, The Bradenton Times, The Florida Sentinel Bulletin of Tampa, La Gaceta of Tampa, The Ledger of Lakeland, News Chief of Winter Haven, The Plant City Observer, Polk County News and Democrat, The Sarasota Herald-Tribune, The Sarasota Observer, The Tampa Bay Times, and The Villages Daily Sun.
- Various non-partisan sources, such as Ballotpedia and the the Florida League of Women Voters. Some organizations are setting up forums to meet the candidates; upcoming forums include:
- Organize Now's Local Candidates Forum, October 15, 11 am - 3 pm, at the Bible Based Fellowship Church of Temple Terrace, 8718 N 46th Street, Tampa, FL 33617.
- The League of Women Voters luncheon on October 21 for candidates for Florida Senate District 18.
- Candidate Forum for State Attorney and City Council District 7, jointly sponsored by the the Emerge USA Florida, the Faith in Florida Action Fund, the NAACP, the NCBW, the SEIU Florida, and TOBA. October 24 from 5:30 pm to 9 pm at the Tampa Heights Community Center at 2005 N. Lamar Ave., Tampa.
- Your union's recommendations, updated versions posted at our Facebook Group Page, which requires a Facebook account to access. You can also check postings at the West Central Florida Federation of Labor Facebook page.
In addition, the USF Chapter is trying to build a political committee that would not only help out during elections but build connections with - and educate - local politicians during the year. If you would be interested, please contact the Chapter Secretary.
Chapter Meeting Friday, October 21, at noon at USF Tampa in EDU 257.
There will be free lunch. Come and check us out.
Membership: Everyone in the UFF USF System Bargaining unit is eligible for UFF membership: to join, simply fill out and send in the membership form.
NOTE: The USF-UFF Chapter website is http://www.uff.ourusf.org, and our e-mail address is email@example.com.
About this broadcast: This Newsletter was broadcast from uff.ourusf.org, hosted at ICDsoft.com, and is intended for all UFF USF members.
If you do not want to receive the UFF Biweekly, you can unsubscribe below. If you do not receive the Biweekly, but want to, e-mail a message to firstname.lastname@example.org.