Time & Place. The Chapter Meeting was held at 12 noon on Tampa in EDU317.
Minutes. Minutes of the April 5 meeting approved.
Attendance. Eight UFF members, including six members of the Council.
- On the Chapter Election. We have sufficient number of senators, but are short two delegates. Article V of the UFF USF Constitution provides for filling vacant delegate seats – absent alternates, the UFF USF Chapter President shall nominate delegates, to be confirmed by the Chapter Council – but does not provide for creating alternates.
- The 2019 – 2020 term of the Faculty Senate. We are informed that Tim Boaz shall be president during the coming academic year.
- Recognition of President Genshaft. The UFF USF Chapter shall host a social recognizing President Genshaft.
- Tenure & Promotion. At the System Faculty Council meeting on April 18, reference to collegiality was removed, and there is no reference to candidates waiving their rights to know the names of referees. The document is now with Academic Affairs, which has expressed an interest in language concerning learning outcomes.
- Legislature. We are informed that the Florida Legislature is unhappy with higher education because of UCF’s use of funds towards buildings.
- Consolidation. Discussion of the situation at USF St. Petersburg. The committee requires new members; there will be a training session set up soon.
- Committee on Faculty Success. The UFF USF Chapter President recommends Steve Permuth.
- Travel Scholarships. Here is a comparison between the spring of 2019 and the spring of 2018 between the travel scholarship announcement and the travel scholarship deadline:
Spring 2018 Spring 2019 # applicants 37 21 # new members 16 8 # membership forms on travel flyers 7 0 # travel flyers 2 0
The recipients this semester are, in order: Adriana Novoa, Peter Funke, Gil Ben-Herut, Bill Haley, Elisabeth Fraser, and Cecil Greek. The alternates are, in order: Sharon L. Segrest, Shun-Yung Kevin Wang, and Lisa Starks.
- Calendar. During the summer, the UFF USF Chapter shall meet at noon at CDB Restaurant in Temple Terrace on May 10 & 24, June 7 & 21, July 5 & 19, and possibly August 2. The Chapter may meet at a regional campus this summer.
- Grievances. The Chapter is seeking secretarial support. There are many outstanding grievances.
These minutes respectfully submitted by G. McColm on 21 April 2019.