Time & Place. The Chapter Meeting was held at 12 noon in the Palm Room on USF St. Petersburg.
Attendance. Eleven UFF members, including five members of the Council.
Minutes. Minutes for February 9 are approved.
- Laurie Byers. Ms. Byers will be our UFF staff for organizing.
- Dismissal of a tenured professor from USFSP. Arbitration is upcoming.
- Faculty use of own books in classes. Discussion of policies under consideration.
- Investigation at USFSP. Update on investigation conducted by Olga Joanow.
- Campus security. Discussion of teachers packing guns.
- Effect of possible USF consolidation per HB 423. The location of tenure is an issue.
- Anomalous positions. The College of Nursing has a number of non-tenure-track professors.
- Gun violence. There will be a March for Our Lives on March 24 on Washington, D.C., against gun violence.
- Motion made and seconded that the UFF USF Senate Delegation shall move a resolution condemning and opposing the Dickey Amendment’s effect of restricting CDC and NIH supported research into gun violence. Motion passes.
- Union-busting legislation. Discussion of HB 7055 and HB 25 / SB 1036.
- Chapter election. Call for nominations.
- Grievances. Many tenure-track faculty do not realize that planning for coming up for tenure – including going to the UFF – is something that cannot wait until the last year.
- Tenure & Promotion workshops. There will be one soon.
- Treasurer’ Report. We are solvent.
- Social on February 22. Report.
- Membership. Discussion of proposal that each UFF member recruit one new member.
These minutes respectfully submitted by G. McColm on 22 March 2018.