Time & Place. The Chapter Meeting was held at 12:00 am on USF Tampa in the Marshall Student Center in MSC 3702 .
Attendance & Introductions. Eleven members, including nine senators, and two guests.
30 January 2015 Minutes approved.
- Discussion of the statewide UFF budget.
- Grievance Committee. Half a dozen in arbitration. Recurring problem: tenure denial at the Provost’s level with an inadequate letter of denial. There are three grievances on this issue, and a possible resolution is being discussed between legal representatives of UFF and the USF Administration.
- Motion made and seconded that the Chapter will not be satisfied with a resolution of to these grievances that does not include a commitment on the part of the Provost’s Office to provide explanations of similar thoroughness as those to be provided to the current grievants in all future cases. Motion passed unanimously.
- Membership Committee. The New and Instructional Faculty Reception is scheduled as a continental breakfasst on February 25, 9:30 – 11:00, in the Marshall Student Center.
- Meetings. The Chapter will meet at a location on USFSM TBD on February 27, in MSC on March 13, and then on campus in a room TBD on March 27, April 10, and April 24.
- Tenure workshops. No rsvps received; turnout unknown.
- Treasury. We are solvent.
- Bargaining. Discussion of priorities.
- Facebook. We are receiving additional requests.
- Motion made and seconded that the Publicity Committee shall accept as Facebook group members members of affiliates and of union organizers. Motion approved.
- Election. The election shall proceed as scheduled.
- Stewards. The steward system shall be overseen by the Services Committee, often called the Membership Committee.
- USFSM. The Chapter will visit USFSM in two weeks, and will seek a contact.
- Guns on campus. Several unions, including the West Central Florida Federation of Labor have taken positions on proposed legislation to provide “Licenses to Carry Concealed Weapons or Firearms; Deleting a provision prohibiting concealed carry licensees from openly carrying a handgun or carrying a concealed weapon or firearm into a college or university facility, etc.”
- Motion made and seconded that the Chapter support the petition against Florida Senate Bill 176 and Florida House Bill 4005. Motion passed unanimously.
- NEA/AFT Higher Education Conference.
- Motion made and seconded that the Chapter send a person to the meeting, asking for UFF funds, but supporting from Chapter funds if necessary.
These minutes respectfully submitted by G. McColm on 13 February 2015.