Time & Place. The Chapter Meeting was held at 12 noon at CDB Restaurant.
Attendance & Introductions. There were eleven members present, including seven council members, and three guests.
Minutes. June 1 minutes approved.
President’s report. Discussion of the USF Poly teach-out, and of the political situation of USF and Tallahassee.
- Treasury. We are solvent.
- Communications. Discussion of media for union outreach to the unit.
- Bargaining. Discussion of bargaining issues. There will be a bargaining survey after Labor Day.
- Presentation by System Faculty Council Chair (and USF Faculty Representative to the USF Board of Trustees) Liz Bird. The political situation of USF and Tallahassee.
- Presentation by incoming Director of the USF Humanities Institute Liz Bird. In September, the Humanities Institute is sponsoring a presentation by Stacy Braukman; the topic is the Johns Committee. Regarding the 1 June motion to allocate at most $ 500 to co-sponsor a reception for the USF Humanities Institute presentation by Stacy Braukman tabled last week:
- Motion made and seconded to untable the 1 July motion. Motion to untable passed.
- 1 July Motion approved.
- Grievances. Discussion of outstanding grievances.
- Presentation by UFF Executive Director Ed Mitchell. Discussion of the Tallahassee situation. Topics included:
- The top desideratum for the Florida Chamber of Commerce is for the spring legislative session is eliminating union dues payment by paycheck deduction.
- We anticipate more action next spring towards tenure “reform”, including eliminating the authority of boards to grant tenure, and requiring additional “post-tenure review”.
- We must be active in the coming primary and in the fall election.
These minutes respectfully submitted by G. McColm on 25 June 2012.